We’re here to help! Enrolling in the plan is simple, but investing for your life goals requires you to be informed. To help guide you through the enrollment process, please contact a representative.
Before Enrolling in the plan, you should:
- Understand the plan features
- Review the Investment Options offered
- Understand the Investment Option Performance
Who is eligible to participate in the Plan?
All active employees, except students working during the academic year, are eligible for Plan membership for the purposes of making pre-tax savings and/or Roth contributions through payroll deduction upon their date of hire.
How do I know if I should make elective contributions to the Plan?
The Plan is not an ordinary savings account that allows withdrawals at any time. Therefore, before deciding whether to contribute to it, you should consider the following:
- Do I have adequate savings for emergencies?
- Do I have adequate savings for other financial objectives (e.g., buying a home, children’s college expenses)?
- Am I current with my bills and credit cards?
- Can I afford to reduce my take-home pay?
- Would I like to pay less current income tax?
- Do I want to contribute to this Plan as a way to work toward my retirement goals?
When do I become eligible to receive employer contributions?
Employees will become eligible for Plan membership for purposes of receiving employer contributions as of the first day of the pay period following the date they meet the following requirements:
- Minimum service—1 year of eligibility service*
- Minimum age—26 years
Under the Plan, the following employees are excluded from receiving employer contributions:
- Employees who are regularly scheduled to work less than 5 months in a calendar year or fewer than 17.5 hours per week, provided the employee has not completed 1 year of eligibility service;
- Employees who are regularly employed on less than a half-time basis (fewer than 910 hours per year), provided the employee has not completed 1 year of eligibility service; and
- Student employees
*A year of eligibility service is a 12-month period measured from your date of hire during which you are credited with at least 910 hours of service. If you were paid for fewer than 910 hours in that period, you will be credited with a year of eligibility service whenever you complete at least 910 hours in any Plan year following your date of hire. You will receive credit for years of eligibility service with another college or university if your employment with the other institution ended within 90 days prior to hire by Smith College.
How to Enroll
If you would like to make your own contributions to the Plan even if you are not yet eligible for employer contributions, you can enroll in the plan via Smith’s Workday site using the step-by-step instructions below.
- Login to Workday
- Under Applications, choose Benefits
- Within the Change box, select Benefits
- Under Change Reason, select Change Retirement Savings - Pre-tax or Roth (voluntary change)
- For the Benefits Event Date, enter today’s date or a future date
- Scroll to the bottom, and select Submit
- A pop-up window appears. Select the Open button
- Select the Let’s Get Started button
- Use either the Enroll or Manage links under the Pre-Tax and/or Roth sections to Select or Waive participation, and select Confirm and Continue
- Under Contribution Type, select Amount or Percentage and then enter the desired amount in the field that appears
- Select Save and then Review and Sign
- Review your elections, select the I Accept box under Electronic Signature, and select Submit
*Investment adviser representative and registered representative of, and securities and advisory services offered through, Voya Financial Advisors, Inc. (member SIPC).
Not FDIC/NCUA/NCUSIF Insured I Not a Deposit of a Bank/Credit Union I May Lose Value I Not Bank/Credit Union Guaranteed I Not Insured by Any Federal Government Agency
Insurance products, annuities and retirement plan funding issued by (third party administrative services may also be provided by) Voya Retirement Insurance and Annuity Company ("VRIAC"), Windsor, CT. VRIAC is solely responsible for its own financial condition and contractual obligations. Plan administrative services provided by VRIAC or Voya Institutional Plan Services LLC ("VIPS"). VIPS does not engage in the sale or solicitation of securities. All companies are members of the Voya® family of companies. Securities distributed by Voya Financial Partners LLC (member SIPC) or third parties with which it has a selling agreement. Custodial account agreements or trust agreements are provided by Voya Institutional Trust Company. All products and services may not be available in all states.