The TD Ameritrade Brokerage Account is an additional investment option available to you through your employer-sponsored retirement Plan (Plan), which is referred to as the “core account” administered by Voya Retirement Insurance and Annuity Company. This option gives you the freedom to invest a portion of your Plan assets in a brokerage account that provides access to a wide array of open-end mutual funds.
The TD Ameritrade Brokerage Account is designed for the experienced investor. Before using this option as part of your retirement portfolio, you should consider whether a TD Ameritrade Brokerage Account is appropriate for your long-term investment needs. If all of the following describes you as an investor, the brokerage account may be right for you:
- I have access to the Internet.
- I am knowledgeable about investment matters.
- I am comfortable with and understand risk, and I am capable of making my own personal investment decisions.
- I have experience using the Internet to research and manage my investments.
- I have the time and investment expertise to research, evaluate and select investments consistent with my investment strategy and personal risk profile.
- I have the time to monitor and manage my retirement plan portfolio.
- I am willing to pay additional fees and charges to invest in investment choices not available within my core account.
If you are not comfortable actively managing your own investment portfolio, it’s likely the core investments in the Plan will help meet your needs. Additionally, Voya Financial™ and its affiliated companies, its officers, agents or employees cannot advise concerning the suitability of a security or investment strategy, nor can they provide financial, legal or tax advice.
To open a TD Ameritrade Brokerage Account, please follow these steps:
- Download the TD Ameritrade material using the links below:
- Complete and return the TD Ameritrade Account Agreement and Roth Account Agreement (if applicable) to TD Ameritrade, who will open your account within 2 business days.
- Complete and return the Participant Acknowledgement and Release Form to Voya.
- Once the account is opened, TD Ameritrade will send you a Welcome Kit that includes your brokerage account number and explains their brokerage account services, procedures, commissions and fees. Additionally, you will receive a Personal Identification Number (PIN) under separate cover for security purposes. You will need both your account number and PIN to access your account through www.tdameritraderetirement.com.
Log on using your TD Ameritrade account number and PIN. You will then be prompted to create a unique User ID and password. At this point you will be required to read and accept various agreements. A TD Ameritrade Brokerage Account can only be funded through transfers from investment options in your core account. You cannot make direct deferrals/contributions into the TD Ameritrade Brokerage Account or request a withdrawal directly from the account.